The Jummah Mosque Mauritius
Mauritus jummahmasjid leaflet.pdf
The Jummah MosqueThe extension work on the Mosquée-des-Arabes began in 1878. The plan called for the blending of the original structure into the larger one to accommodate the growing Muslim congregation. The work called for particular skills and dexterity, notably in the moulding and plastering of the sculptural work with ornamentation -- skills that could not be handled by local workers. Specialised workers were brought from India for the job as were the necessary building materials, namely: stones, lime and wood. Transportation posed no problem as several members of the Managing Body of the Mosque, headed by Haji Joonus Allarakia, were also owners of ships that plied regularly between India and Mauritius.
|Source : http://www.jummahmasjid.org/indexf1.asp|