Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Worst of Ummah

The Messenger of Allah (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said: “The worst of my Ummah are those who indulge in delights; those who eat all different kinds of food, and wear all different kinds of clothing, and are loose in their speech.” [Al-Jaami as-Sagheer min Hadeeth al-Basheer an-Nadheer by Imaam As-Suyooti]

Why?

A country sends an ambassador to another country to improve bilateral relations, enhance trade ties, and so on. Suppose the ambassador becomes engrossed in sightseeing and enjoying the local cuisine and culture, at the cost of his official duties, while the whole time on his government’s expenditure. What do you think will happen to him when he returns to his country?

Similarly, if we don't fulfill the duties we were sent to earth for, then we will not be appreciated by Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) when we return to Him. That is why the Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) mentioned what he did about the worst of his Ummah – because, their focus is not on fulfilling the responsibilities of the office they were entrusted with, but on enjoying themselves.


On earth, my duty is to honourably discharge my responsibilities as Allah’s vicegerent. [Surah Al-Baqarah, Ayat 30] Being Allah’s vicegerent means to comply with His laws as they apply to me, to execute His laws over whatever comes under my authority, and to struggle to bring all of the earth under the justice and mercy of Allah’s laws. Our job is to work for and on behalf of Allah (subhana wa ta’ala). Nature is bound by the laws He (subhana wa ta’ala) created, but human beings choose to work with His laws, and in this is the test of their obedience.

Paradise is the place where I can live as I please. Meanwhile, I need to keep my duty to Allah (subhana wa ta’ala) and be cautious about my responsibilities as a Muslim.

This hadith has been sent to me by dailyhadith.adaptivesolutionsinc.com

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails