Monday, October 18, 2010
What is Ayatul Kursi
What is Ayatul Kursi
Praise be to Allaah, we seek His help and His forgiveness. We seek refuge with Allaah from the evil of our own souls and from our bad deeds. Whomsoever Allaah guides will never be led astray, and whomsoever Allaah leaves astray, no one can guide. I bear witness that there is no god but Allaah, and I bear witness that Muhammad is His slave and Messenger.
Bismillah Walhamdulillah Was Salaatu Was Salaam 'ala Rasulillah
As-Salaam Alaikum Wa-Rahmatullahi Wa-Barakatuhu
Perhaps you might have your parents mention Ayatul Kursi, or encourage you to memorise it. It is an ayah (verse) from the Qur'an, in Surah Baqarah. From this ayah we learn some very important facts.
There is no one like Allah. We need Him, but He doesn't need us at all. He is the one who created the Universe. It belongs to Him; He looks after it and protects it. And He never gets tired or sleepy. He knows everything about us and what will happen to us, and any knowledge we have is only what He allows us to have.
Below is a simple meaning of this ayah in English to make it easier for you to understand:
Allahu la ilaha ilia huwal-Hayyul-Qayyum.
Allah. There is no god but He, the Ever-Living, the One who takes care of all that exists.
La ta-khu-zhu-hu sinatun wa la nawm.
Nothing can make Him drowsy or make Him sleep
La hu ma fissamawati wa ma fil-ard
His are all things in the heavens and on earth.
Man dhallladhi yashfa 'ou 'indahu ilia bi idhnihi
Who is there can intercede* in His presence unless He allows it?
Ya'lamu ma bayna aydiyhim wa ma khalfahum
He knows what (appears to His creatures as) before or after or behind them,
Wa la yu hiytoona bi shay-imman 'ilmihi Utah bi ma shaa-a
While they will never have any of HisKnowledge unless He wills.
Wa si'a kursiyuhus-samaawaati wal-ard
His 'Kursi' contains the heavens and the earth,
Wa la ya-ooduhu Hifzuhuma
and He doesn't feel tired in guarding and preserving them
Wahuwal- 'aliyul- 'azeem
for He is the Most High, the Supreme (in glory).
*On the Day of Judgment, there will be no one to 'intercede' in Allah's presence. This means there will be no one to help us, unless He allows them to speak.
Allah's names in this ayat:
Al-Hayy: The One who lives forever and has always lived.
Al-Qayyum: The One who survives by Himself, and looks after all by His Power.
Al-'Aliy : The Most High
Al-'Azeenv : The Supreme, the Great, the Magnificent One.
Some Hadith about
The greatest verse of the Qur'an:
Abu bhar said; 0 Messenger of Allah, what is the greatest thing that has been revealed to you? He said, "Ayat al-Kursi, 'Allah! La ilaha ilia Huwa...'" [an-Nasa'i]
The benefit of reciting it: He (saws) also said: "When you lie down in your bed, recite ayat al-Kursi, Allah! La ilaha ilia Huwa (none has the right to be worshipped but He), the Ever Living, the One Who sustains and protects all that exists... [al-Baraqah 2:255] until the end of the ayah, then you will have a protector from Allah and no shaytan (devil) will come near you until morning comes." [Sahih al-Bukhari]
What Prophet Muhammad (saws) said about the 'Kursi':
"Compared with the KURSI, the whole universe is as little as a ring thrown upon a desert. Similarly, compared with the 'ARSH (Throne), the kursi is as little as a ring thrown upon the deserf."[Tafsir a-Tabari].
-The 'Arsh is Allah's Throne and Allah is 'above it' (Istawa ala al-Arsh).
Concerning the virtue of reciting this aayah after the prescribed prayers, it was narrated that Abu Umaamah said: “The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever recites Aayat al-Kursiy immediately after each prescribed prayer, there will be nothing standing between him and his entering Paradise except death.” This is how it was narrated by al-Nasaa’i in al-Yawm wa’l-Laylah, from al-Hasan ibn Bishr. It was also narrated by Ibn Hibbaan in his Saheeh from Muhammad ibn Humayr, who is al-Homsi, and is also one of the men of al-Bukhaari. The isnaad meets the conditions of al-Bukhaari.
Rasool Allah peace be upon him said, "Whoever recites Aayatul Kursi after every Fard (Fard Salat). Only death is keeping him/her from entering Jannah. (As soon as he/she dies, will enter Jannah)
(Nisa'i, Ibne Habban, Ibnelsani A'n Abi Amatah Albahili Radiallah Anhu)
It's in another Hadis that Reciting Ayatul Kursi after one Fard (Fard Salat) will stay in Allah's protection until the next Salat.
(Tibrani Fil Kabeer, A'n Alhasan Bin Ali Radiallah Anhu)
Imam Bihaqi States that the one who recites Ayatul Kursi before falling asleep, Allah Tala gives protection to his/her home and his/her Family.
(Marqat Sharah Mishkaat, Mulla Ali Qaderi, vol. 2 pp. 583)
It's in another Hadees Jinns and Shaitans do not come close to the house in which Ayatul Kursi is recited.
(Tirmizi Altargheeb Wal Tarheeb Lilmanzari vol.2 pp.631)
Hadrat A'isha Radiallah Anha states that a person arrived in the court of Nabi kareem Sallal Laaho Alaihi Wasallam and complained that there is no Barkat (Blessings) in anything in his home. Rasool Allah peace be upon him said, "You do not recite Ayatul Kursi, whichever Food and Curry you will recite Ayatul Kursi on, Allah Tala will give Blessings on that Food and Curry. (Tafseer Dar Manshoor vol. 1 pp. 323)
The Benefits of
It is the Most Respectable Ayat of the Qur'aan Kareem.
1).Hadhrat Ali bin Kaab (Radiahallahu Anhu) remarks that Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) asked him," Which is the most high ranking Aayat in the Qur'aan Kareem?" He said, " Allaah and His Rasul know best". Rasulallah repeated this statement very often. Hadhrat Ali (Radiahallahu Anhu) stated, "Ayatul Kursi". Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said:"Oh Abul Munzar (family name of Abi bin Kaab). May you be blessed by this knowledge. I swear by that Being in whose Hands and Control is my life, that this Ayat has one tongue and two lips. It is by the threshold of Allaah's Arsh, Mentioning His purity".
2) Hadhrat Ali (Radiahallahu Anhu) states that there was a room of dates, which he used to guard. He suspected that some dates were going missing. Thus one night he stood vigil and saw an animal like a young person. Hadhrat Ali (Radiahallahu Anhu) said: "I greeted and received a reply". I asked," Who are you? Man or Jinn?" It said, "Jinn. I said, Give me your hand". He outstretched his hand. I noticed that the hand was like that of a dog. Its hair like the hair of the dog. I asked, "Are Jinns created like this?" It said, " the Jinns know there are amongst them more stronger ones". I enquired," Why did you steal?". He replied," I have come to know that you love to give charity so I decided to take a part also." Hadhrat Ali (Radiahallahu Anhu) said: " Who will save us from your evil? It said, Aayatul Kursi which is in Surah Baqarah. He who reads it at night will be saved from our evil till the morning and he who reads it in the morning will be saved from our evil till the night."
In the morning Hadhrat Ali (Radiahallahu Anhu) came to Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) and narrated the entire event to him. Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said,"That evil has stated the truth although he is a great liar."
3) It is reported from Hadhrat Askee Baqri that Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) came to the abode of the Muhajreen when one person asked, "In the Qur'aan Kareem which is the most lofty Ayat?" Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) repeated "Ayatul Kursi".
4) Hadhrat Hassan reports "Marfoonaan"," I have been given Ayatul Kursi. Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said," Surah Fateha, Ayatul Kursi and the two Ayats of Al-Imraan (Shaheedal Allaah - 18th Ayat), and "Qul Allaahumma Malekal mulk til Bi Ghairi Hisaab (Ayat 26/7) are attached to the Arsh and say, "Oh our Rabb, You are sending us onto earth to disobedient ones!!!
Allaah says ," I have given you such status, whosoever from amongst my servants recites you after every Salaat, his resting place will be Jannat. And I will make his abode in Jannatul Quddoos and fulfill 70 needs of his daily needs, the least of which is forgiving him and saving him from all enemies of evils.
It is a quarter of the Qur'aan Kareem.
5) Hadhrat Anas (Radiahallahu Anhu)narrates that Rasulallaah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) asked one of his companions: " Oh, so and so are you married?" He replied: "No, I do not have enough wealth that I may marry.", Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: "Do you know Surah Qul Huwallaahu Ahad?" The Sahaba replied: "I know". Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: "It is equal to a quarter of the Qur'aan. Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) asked: "Do you not know Qul Yaa Ayyuhal Kaafiroon?" The Sababi replied "I know". Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said " "It is equal to a quarter of the Qur'aan." Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) asked, "Do you not know Surah "Iza Zul Zilzilaat " ?" The Sahaabi replied, "I Know". Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: "It is a quarter of the Qur'aan". Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) asked: "Do you not know Surah Iza Jaa a Nasrullaahi Wal Fath" The Sahabi replied "I Know" Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said, it is a quarter of the Qur'aan. Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) asked: "Do you know the Ayatul Kursi?" The Sahabi replied "I know". Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said, "It is equal to a quarter of the Qur'aan. Marry, Marry, Marry."
Consistency and Ayatul Kursi
6) Hadhrat Anas (Radiahallahu Anhu) said that Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said, "The one who recites Ayatul Kursi after every fard Salaat will be protected until the next Salaat and this is constantly done by a Nabi or a Siddiq or a martyr.
7) Hadhrat Hassan bin Ali (Radiahallahu Anhu) says, "A person once asked: "Oh Rasulallaah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) what does that person receive who recites Ayatul Kursi after every Fard Salaat ? Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: " That person remains under the protection of Allaah until the next Salaat."
8) Hadhrat Anas (Radiahallahu Anhu) says: Rasulallaah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) asked; "Do you know which Ayat in the Qur'aan is most lofty? " I said, Allaah and his Rasul know more." Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) read Ayatul Kursi
9) Hadhrat Efai bin Abdullah Kallee said that one person asked."Oh Rasulallaah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam), which Ayat in the Qur'aan is the most lofty one?" Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: " Ayatul Kursi". The person asked,"Which Ayat has those benefits which you desire for your Ummah, in the Qur'aan?" Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: "The last Ayat of Surah Baqarah, for it is from the treasures of Allaah from underneath the threshold of the Arsh. It encompasses all the good of this world and the Aakhiraat".
10) Hadhrat Muhammad bin al Saumi bin Al Salsal bin Damasc narrates from his father, who in turn, narrates from his father that Rasulallaah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: " Whoever recites Ayatul Kursi after every fard Salaat, there is only death between him and Jannat", he will enter into Jannat immediately when he dies.
11) Hadhrat Ibne Anas (Radiahallahu Anhu) says that Rasulallaah (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said: "The one who recites Ayatul Kursi after every Fard Salaat, Allaah Ta'aala will grant him a gratifying heart, actions of the truthful and reward like the Ambiyaa .Special mercies will descend upon him, and death is the only barrier from his entrance into Jannat. On dying he will enter Janaat".
Blessing in the food
12) Hadhrat Ayesha (R.A.) narrates that one person came to Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) and said that there was absolutely no "Barakat" (blessings) in the things at home. Nabi (Sallallahu alayhi wasallam) replied, "Why are you neglectful of Ayatul Kursi."
Whenever Aayatul Kursi is recited upon food, Allaah Ta'aala will increase the Barakat in that food or curry.
13) Hadhrat Ibn Masood (Radiahallahu Anhu) says that Allaah the Lofty did not create any thing in the skies or on earth, in Jannat or Jahannam, loftier than Ayatul Kursi.
14) Hadhrat Ibn Masood (Radiahallahu Anhu) says that no space in the sky, or on the earth is loftier than Ayatul Kursi.
IF THE POST GIVEN BY ALLAH, HE WOULD MAKE EASY AND HELPS YOU TO FULFILL YOUR RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE UMMAH.
The Holy Qur'Aan: Surah Al-Fatiha, Section 1 of Surah Bagarah, Ayatul Kursi, Surah Nas Thru Sura Naha, With Modern English Translations, andThe Holy Qur'Aan: Surah Al-Fatiha, Section 1 of Surah Bagarah, Ayatul Kursi, Surah Nas Thru Sura Naha, With Modern English Translations, andThe Holy Qur'Aan: Surah Al-Fatiha, Section 1 of Surah Bagarah, Ayatul Kursi, Surah Nas Thru Sura Naha, With Modern English Translations, and